We would be delighted for you to join us for our upcoming Seminar - Jackson Reforms "The Cotton Anniversary" on Thursday 14 May 2015.
The following topics will be covered:
KEYNOTE ADDRESS FROM DISTRICT JUDGE BESFORD
"Costs Budgeting - A Personal Reflection"
PJ KIRBY QC, HARDWICKE CHAMBERS
“If Indemnity costs are the answer what’s the question?”
PJ considers the circumstances in which the costs judge may be persuaded to depart from the budget and in particular the importance of orders for costs on an indemnity basis.
PAUL SHENTON, MANAGING DIRECTOR, JUST COSTS SOLICITORS
“Sleepwalking Into Disaster: Elvanite and the Consequences of Not Complying with Approved Budgets”
- Courts will not depart from a costs budget on an assessment of costs without ‘good reason’
- The substantial majority of parties who have had costs budgets approved have not subsequently sought to vary any of their costs budgets
- This either means that those parties are progressing their cases knowingly and safely within budget OR are progressing their cases without actually knowing whether they are in budget or not
- More than 40% of all costs budget audits we have conducted have identified an overspend (of between 5% and over 100%) in at least one of the litigation phases
- Accordingly, parties must carry out regular costs budget audits,to ensure they are working within budget and are not potentially working for free if they are not.
Date: Thursday 14 May 2015
Time: 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm (Registration 1.30 pm)
Venue: SGH Martineau, No 1 Colmore Square, Birmingham B4 6AA
CPD Hours: 3 hours
SRA Provider Reference: DIU/JUCO
Book before 10 April 2015 to take advantage of our early bird offer of just £25 + VAT per delegate (usually £50 + VAT)